Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Silver Lining

It's not actually the silver lining because that would imply that there are a lot of clouds. And that's not the case. I'm just trying to reflect on the good things and share them, mostly to keep a smile on my face and not stress my child's father out.

So here they are:

The Top 10 Good Things About Sudan So Far:

10. My child now knows that meat doesn't come from supermarkets. All meat comes from animals and he would like to know whether chickens go to heaven after we eat them.

9. My little New Yorker knows how to groom a horse - all seven steps - and he knows what mucking out means. (And let's hope he doesn't know what making out means.)

8. I have 14 students and a teaching assistant and air conditioning and a pool at school. This is NOT the NYC Department of Education.

7. I know how to drive a car with a manual transmission. Yes, I can drive stick.

6. I used to teach kids, "You are as good as anyone." Now I get to say things like, "If you think your nanny is an idiot because you don't like how she packed your lunch, you should pack your own lunch!" and enjoy the looks of horror and shock on their little faces.

5. I have a new principal and a new supervisor who think I am a good teacher. I have therefor not yet had a disciplinary write-up entered into my file. This was not true a year ago.

6. My child only cracked the window of the company car. It didn't shatter and fall out completely.

7. I can now count backwards and forwards as evidenced by my inability to count properly on this top 10. Back to number 4 now...

4. My child used to want to be a clown. Now he wants to be the President/The New King of Pop/a magician.

3. Juwafa bi lebben. Guava milkshakes. 'Nuff said.

2. I can afford a nanny/housekeeper five days a week who does laundry, irons, sweeps, mops, babysits (staying overnight when necessary), makes beds (though I never understood why this was important) and loves my child.

1. And the number one good thing about living in Sudan is....





...not really any of your business. wink.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Someone else who doesn't understand the purpose of making beds.

    ReplyDelete